Saturday, October 2, 2010

"Transition"

  Transition, by concrete and literal definition, means "a movement, passage or change from one position, state, stage, subject, concept, etc. to another."  While these descriptive words grasp a sound meaning on such a simple word, I realize that this word holds a deeper substance that is fairly applicable to our lives within any given moment.   No doubt, it is transition that spins the spokes of Life's ever-changing wheel of fate.  With every breath we take, every decision we make, every moment that passes within our lives, each and every one of us faces transition and change.  It is merely the choice of the individual as to whether or not he or she will accept the gift (or hardship) it bestows.  No matter where transition is experienced, it is always received, and it is something that will continue to be a part of all our lives until we take our last breaths on this earth.

  I, myself, have entered the biggest transition thus far within my twenty-three years of being in existence.  A recent graduate of the University of Virginia and, even more recently, accepting a position as a Pediatric ICU Nurse, my transition has come with many ups and downs.  It has been one of tears of happiness, tears of sorrow, tears of frustration, and tears with laughter and happiness that I find myself to this point in my life, analyzing the person who I have become and, more importantly, whom I aspire to become.  Now for me, my passion sits with Fashion and all its beauty.  It is a most enjoyable and delightful hobby.  I can honestly say that Fashion has helped make my transition into the "real" world more tolerable.  After a hard day's labor at the hospital and feeling quite unattractive in my plain, "unisex" scrub tops and bottoms, I never feel ashamed or outlandish throwing on a pair of denims, simple tank top, perhaps an accent necklace or earrings to finish the outfit.... all with the intent of walking the dog down the street.  It's not so much that I enjoy getting dressed up for those who I happen to pass by on the road, but it is more for my own benefit more than anything.  To feel like a real woman, light on my toes and happily walking with a brisk step in my ballerina flats brings me to a peace that is missing while at work.  This is my time to exhibit myself through dress, one of the few times during the day that I have this luxury, and it is truly wonderful.  Whether anyone decides to do a double take is something I often never even notice, because the only thing I see, walking down the street is a happy, satisfied and content girl who once again feels like a true woman.
  At the end of the day, back at home and sitting quietly in bed and pondering the events of the day that is slowly coming to an end, never to return, I realize the transitions will continue to press on within my life.  I will never have the power to stop or even tweek such uncontrollable episodes of Fate, but in deciding that I have no choice but to accept them with a smile and open arms, I fall asleep and gently float away into a sweet sleep of dream-state and imaginary bliss.  Tomorrow is another day.

2 comments:

  1. You posted- this just made my day. I will miss you and your outfits, but I'm so glad that you are writing so that I can stay connected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie! I love this post and I must say that I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with you on this. I was never that into fashion until recently -- there's just something so liberating about breaking out of those MRSA-contaminated scrubs and putting on something cute (even if it is just to go to the grocery store or throw out the trash, haha). I've always loved how free spirited and empowered you were and I'm glad to see that fashion has become such a powerful means of expressing this.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete