Sunday, November 14, 2010

"Project Turkey (AKA Here's to Hoping for Bountiful Goodness)" Part I

The Thanksgiving season has arrived.  The time of year when mildly warm days and chilly nights create a mood unlike any other throughout the year.  Perhaps it's just me, but I feel as if I have noticed these Autumn days more so than I ever have before, and I seem to appreciate them all the more.  So, in case you have not yet stepped outside for a moment of quiet reflection on the gorgeous a-la-naturale that Mother Nature has so graciously granted us this year, I suggest taking a walk within the next few days before the last of the colored leaves bid farewell.


My one reference to fashion for this blog installment will be in regard to this fact: AUTUMN DRESSING IS ENDLESS, PRACTICAL, AND COMPLETELY UNIQUE.  Any sweaters, long-sleeved tees, scarves, hats, gloves, light jackets/cardigans, etc.- anything is a GO.  And while working at Anthropologie (my second "fun" job) I have had many questions from customers about what should match/go/be paired with what.  The bottom line is this: Regardless of dark stripes vs bright polka dots, cool plaids vs warm prints, and safe solids vs bold patterns, anything is possible and doable.  My advice is to utilize the clothing resources you have that might have slipped beneath the shadows of your closet throughout the years.  Go on a hunt for what you know is already there and play around by matching and pairing all sorts of possibilities.  I have personally come to discover that some of the best fall treasures are the ones that have been lost for many years amongst newer trends.  There is nothing more satisfying than redefining a classic, chic wardrobe for these lazy Autumn days.  Have at it!

And now.....

A look of fear or merely a display of my incapability to hold this large bird?

*PROJECT TURKEY*

Goal: A Cooked, Tender 22-lb Domesticated 1st-Class Turkey
Time frame: One week
Project Leader: Me
Project "Guinea Pigs": Annual Thanksgiving Dinner Attendees (AKA my amazing friends & family)
End Result: Unknown
Casualties: Minus my fat turkey, None (as of yet)

Nothing besides pure curiosity interested me in cooking a full 22 pound "young" turkey this year.  With this being the 3rd Annual Thanksgiving Potluck Dinner I have hosted, I knew preparing a real turkey would come sooner or later.  After all, cooking is one of my favorite past times, and while I can honestly say I'd rather whip up a batch of warm chocolate chip cookies or a German Chocolate cake, this comes as a true challenge.  Thus, I am quite nervous.  And did I mention I need enough turkey to feed 25?  


My friend, Nikki (cue the shout out to her amazing blog: http://mybackburner.wordpress.com/) and I began the hunt for the largest turkey we could find early this morning, and let me tell you- I simply do not believe a 25-pound turkey exists in Virginia, at least.  At this point I think we can get away with 22 pounds, which will keep me plenty busy over the next week!  With as many guests and as much food as I'm anticipating I'm hoping this will be sufficient for all of us.  Here's to a valiant effort and first attempt!

Thus begins the eagerly (?) anticipated week-long "Turkey Trot" for me.  I will research various methods of cooking these fowls of the air, and ultimately, make my decision based on what I think will work best with our amenities.  Our oven is not that large, so hopefully this bird will roast evenly.  We shall see.  This, being installment 1 of many within this header, is the beginning of a new domestic journey, and here's to anticipating a successful, gorgeously-cooked turkey this time one week from now.  Updates to come!

2 comments:

  1. I am so sad I missing out on this turkey- I have a feeling it's going to be delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. this turkey is going to be epic. :)

    ReplyDelete